Cathedral Church of St Phillip, Birmingham, West Midlands

Cathedral Church of St Phillip, Birmingham, West Midlands
Photograph taken 20 September 2002 © Mr J J Sheridan LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 217576

This church was designed in 1709 and consecrated in 1715, though the tower not completed until 1725. It was raised to cathedral status in 1905. It was built by architect Thomas Archer, his first big commission, and of far more than local importance as a major monument of the 'English Baroque' style.

Location

West Midlands Birmingham

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

church religion faith architecture baroque Georgian (1714 - 1836)