Chamberlain House and Shops, Camden Town, Greater London
This block of council flats also has shops at ground floor level. It forms part of the Ossulston Estate and lies between Phoenix Road, Ossulston Street and Chalton Street. It was built in 1927-9 to the designs of the London County Council Architect's department under G Topham Forrest. It is built around a courtyard with an entrance from Phoenix Road. The Ossulston Estate is the most important inner-city estate of the inter-war period. At this time the policy was to house as many Londoners as possible on outlying cottage estates. The large waiting lists and the urgency of slum clearance forced the LCC Housing Committee to build this inner-city estate. The foundation stone was laid by Neville Chamberlain, then Minister of Health.