Clifford's Tower (York Castle), York, York
William the Conqueror built the castle for his northern campaign of terror in 1069. The stone keep was built in 1245-72. At various points in its history, Clifford’s Tower became a royal mint, functioned as a prison, gruesomely displayed the bodies of leaders of uprisings, and was even a court. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Read detailed archaeological description.