Compton Castle, Marldon, Devon
Joan daughter and heiress of William de Compton married Geoffrey Gilbert. He built this house in around 1320 as a manor house. It was extended in 1450 and extended and fortified around 1500. The main entrance has a portcullis and battlements to the high courtyard wall. It was the home of Sir Humphrey Gilbert the explorer and navigator who annexed Newfoundland in 1583. Sir Humphrey Gilbert was a half brother of Sir Walter Raleigh. Compton was abandoned by the Gilbert family around 1750 and became a farm but it was bought back by them in the 20th century. It was thoroughly restored around 1930-55 and later passed into the care of the National Trust.