Congress House, Camden Town, Greater London

Congress House, Camden Town, Greater London
Photograph taken 18 August 2004 © Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive ref: 477672

Congress House in Great Russell Street was built in 1953-7 for the Trades Union Congress (TUC). It was designed by David du R Aberdeen in 1948. It was built as the Trades Union headquarters and memorial building. It contains the Memorial Hall, Library, Secretariat and Council Chamber. The striking sculpture on the front of the building; The Spirit of Brotherhood, is by Bernard Meadows. The TUC War Memorial by Jacob Epstein was put up in 1955-6. It stands in a courtyard in front of a green marble screen. The building is seen as one of the most significant post war buildings in Britain. It is designed to be light and airy and very different from the 1930s (pre war) architecture seen in large public buildings.