Corn Exchange, Cornhill, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

Corn Exchange, Cornhill, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Photograph taken 12 May 2005 © Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive ref: 466762

This Exchange was built in 1861-2 by Ellis and Woodward in Classical style as a place for Victorian farmers and merchants to trade. These architects were the designers of the famous Fenchurch Street, London. The building was altered in 1969/70 in order to convert some of the building into a shopping centre.

Location

Suffolk Bury St Edmunds

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

exchange trade commerce market pillars classical Victorian (1837 - 1901)