Council Housing, Passfields, Lewisham, Greater London

Council Housing, Passfields, Lewisham, Greater London
Photograph taken 30 November 2006 © Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 471967

This block of flats in Bromley Road is part of a development of 4 blocks set in landscaped gardens. The block included 24 maisonettes, five bedsits and 36 one-bedroom flats. The development was designed as low cost public housing in 1949-50 by Fry, Drew and Partners. The architect was J B Shaw. It was built for Lewisham Metropolitan Borough by Ove Arup and Partners, engineers. It is an early example of the use of box frame construction developed by Ove Arup during WW2. The curved shape was also an innovation and the development won a Festival of Britain Award. Balconies were seen as important features and these were designed as areas for drying clothes. This block is of special significance in being one of the earliest to include maisonettes.

Location

Greater London Lewisham

Period

1950s (1950 - 1959)

Tags

house council housing flat estate 1950s (1950 - 1959) world war two (1939 - 1945)