County Hall, Market Place, Abingdon, Oxfordshire
"The old County Hall building dates from between 1678 and 1682. It was the typical combination for the period of a market space beneath a courtroom supported on pillars. It was built in Oxfordshire limestone and may have been designed by Christopher Wren. It was certainly built by two men he respected and worked with closely: Christopher Kempster, master mason, and John Scarborough, clerk of works. The monumental character of the building comes from the giant Corinthian pilasters that rise from ground level through both storeys. They appear to support the weighty structure of the roof and give it the appearance of temple architecture. The building now (2011) houses the Abingdon Museum. It is in the care of English Heritage and managed by Abingdon Town Council. "