Court House, St John's Street, Malmesbury, Wiltshire
An exterior detail view of the south gable end of Court House, also known as St John's Court showing the reused medieval carved door surround and inscription above. This building was a hall built on the site of the Hospital of St. John and is possibly one of the medieval convent buildings associated with the hospital. It was bought in c1580 by the Old Corporation and much altered, probably in c1623. The Old Corporation have held meetings in the Court House since 1616, after St. Paul's Church ceased to be used as a town hall. From probably c1629 the building was also used as a Free School. The earliest date scratched on the desks that still exist is 1745. There is a panelled screen or bar (with the sergeant's seat) that separates the pit, where the 24 Assistant Burgesses gathered. The court chest with 6 locks is kept in the pit. The High Steward's chair dates to 1842, and has a painted panel of the Royal Coat of Arms dated 1693 over it flanked by other coats of arms of previous High Stewards, mainly dating to the 18th century.