Crucifixion on the gatehouse, Cleeve Abbey, Washford, Somerset
Cleeve Abbey was founded as a Cistercian monastery in 1198. The abbey was at its peak in the 13th and 14th centuries, with up to 28 monks and numerous lay brothers. Some of the lay brothers lived here others lived on outside estates (or granges). In 1536, the abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Little remains of the church except low walls and foundations. Many of the surviving buildings date from the 13th century, including the gatehouse. The gatehouse is seen here and was remodelled by Abbot Dovell in the early 16th century. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).