Curtis & Harvey, Cliffe, Kent

Curtis & Harvey, Cliffe, Kent
Photograph taken Unknown © Crown copyright. Historic England Archive ref: NMR 15033/46

The large Curtis & Harvey factory beside the River Thames. It was developed in the 1890s to manufacture a wide range of nitroglycerine-based explosives for the military. Distinctive mounds for the production of both nitroglycerine and other explosives can be seen. They were designed to contain any accidental explosions.

Location

Kent Cliffe

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

aerial view explosive factory military