Custom House, The Parade, Plymouth
This custom house with its bonded warehouses was built in 1820. It was designed by David Laing. This was his first job as Surveyor of the Customs. The customs house supervised the taxes (duties) that had to be paid on goods imported into and exported from the port of Plymouth. Bonded warehouses were places where goods that came into the port could be stored and then exported without having to pay taxes.