Customs Office, Hartlepool, Cleveland

Customs Office, Hartlepool, Cleveland
Photograph taken December 1990 © Crown copyright.NMR ref: BB97/02055

Built in 1911, this custom house had the duty of overseeing the collection of tax revenue at the dock. It replaced the former Ship Hotel built circa 1844, which had been used as a custom house since 1880 and was given over to commercial use after 1911.