Derry And Toms, Kensington High Street, Kensington, Greater London
Interior view showing the tea rooms from the lift, at Derry and Toms. The image was taken for Derry and Toms, to show interior design by the Plastic Decoration Company. Derry and Toms was one of London's new Victorian department stores. The company dates back to the 1860s, when Joseph Toms, a store proprietor joined forces with his brother-in-law, Charles Derry. The tea rooms would have been popular with wealthy ladies who were starting to shop in such stores rather than buy from catalogues or local dressmakers. In 1920 John Barker & Co acquired Derry & Toms. It ceased trading in 1971.