Dovecote, St Mary's Priory, Church Street, Guisborough, Redcar and Cleveland

Dovecote, St Mary's Priory, Church Street, Guisborough, Redcar and Cleveland
Photograph taken 26 September 2003 © Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB. Source Historic England Archive ref: 59927

The dovecote of St Mary's Priory dates from the 14th century. The monks kept doves for food. The timber nesting boxes from inside the dovecote have been removed and it has been used as a garden store. The priory was founded in 1119 by Robert de Brus for Augustinian canons. It was a rich priory and was allowed to run a weekly market by its gates from 1263. In 1540 the priory was dissolved by Henry VIII. In 1550, the site and buildings were sold to Sir Thomas Chaloner. The site is still owned by the Chaloner family and is managed (2011) by English Heritage

Location

Redcar and Cleveland Guisborough

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

abbey church monastery dissolution religion faith dovecote food medieval (1066 - 1484)