East Front, Witley Court, Great Witley, Worcestershire

The east (Ballroom) frontage of Witley Court. Witley Court is a ruined country house on the site of a medieval manor house. The present building dates from 1610-20. It was altered and extended in the late 17th to early 18th century and extensively transformed into an Italianate style building in the 19th century. The 17th century building was roughly U-shaped in plan. The brick-built house was stuccoed in the late 18th century and giant Ionic porticos were added in circa 1805 by John Nash. The house was sold in 1837 and remodelled in Italianate style between 1854 and 1860 by the owner the first Earl of Dudley. The Dudley's wealth also funded the creation of an ornate formal garden designed by William Andrews Nesfield, the leading garden designer of the day. The house was severely damaged by fire in 1937, it was sold and its interior stripped out before being abandoned. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011).


Worcestershire Great Witley


Victorian (1837 - 1901)


aerial view mansion country house garden landscape architecture georgian (1714 - 1836) stuart (1603 - 1713) english heritage