Entrance to Mersey Tunnel, Liverpool, Merseyside
This is the main entrance to the original, Queensway tunnel. The 2 mile tunnel was built in 1925-34. The engineers were Sir Basil Mott and J.A. Brodie with Herbert J. Rowse as architect. The entrance in Old Haymarket is built from Portland stone. It was originally a symmetrical design which has been hidden by later alterations to the layout. The entrance was designed in an Art Deco style. The walls were designed to look sleek and smooth to suggest speed and efficiency. There are two lodges in the form of triumphal arches to the left and right of the entrance with Art Deco ornamentation in an Egyptian style. One of the original green toll booths can just be seen to the right, behind road signs.