Etwall Hospital, Church Hill, Etwall, Derbyshire
A view from the central green of building numbers 5 to 10. Etwall Hospital or Sir John Port's Almshouses were founded in the 1550s, following the Dissolution of the monasteries. They were rebuilt sometime between 1676 and 1690. There are 16 cottages in all, 12 of which are built round three sides of a courtyard. A plaque explains that 'This hospitall through length of time falling into decay was rebuilt, the sallarys increased, the alms men augmented from VI to XII. The Right Honourable Theophilus, late of Huntingdon, the Right Honourable Philip, Earl of Chesterfield and S William Gerrard, Baronet. Hiers generale to the founder being governors MDCLXXXI'