Ford's Hospital, Greyfriars Lane, Coventry, West Midlands
A view in the courtyard at Ford's Hospital, also known as Greyfriars Hospital, showing bomb damage. It was founded in 1509 by William Ford who endowed an almshouse for 5 men and a woman. This was completed, before his death in 1517, by William Pisford who increased the size of the endowment providing for six men and their wives. By 1800 the charity had become confined to women only. The North Side of the hospital was directly hit by a bomb in 1940 which killed eight women. The damaged area was rebuilt in 1951-3 using original timbers and the whole structure was restored.