Former Church Institute, Leeds, West Yorkshire

Former Church Institute, Leeds, West Yorkshire
Photograph taken 07 May 2001 © Mr Steve Novak. Source Historic England Archive ref: 464687

Former Church Institute, built in 1866-8 in a Gothic Revival style. The Church Institute and Sunday School Association was established in 1857 to unite churchmen in an endeavour to extend religious and secular knowledge. The original interior contained a lecture hall for 700-800 persons, seating for tea meetings for 250-300, and a reading room and library of 10,000 volumes.

Location

West Yorkshire Leeds

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

church religion institute education social welfare architecture gothic Victorian (1837 - 1901)