Former Church Institute, Thornbury, South Gloucestershire

Former Church Institute, Thornbury, South Gloucestershire
Photograph taken 28 January 2001 © Mr Peter Clark LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 404469

This building was built as a house in the 1600s. Then in 1724 a John Attwells left a legacy of £500 to found a Free School in Thornbury. This building became that school. It was joined with the grammar school in 1879. In the 20th century it was used as a Church Institute.

Location

South Gloucestershire Thornbury

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

school education charity religion Georgian (1714 - 1836)