Former Cotton Factory, Hammerton Street, Burnley, Lancashire
This cotton spinning mill was built between 1827 and 1844. It was then taken over and used as an iron works factory. It was taken over in 1882 by James Proctor to manufacture 'Proctors' Mechanical Stokers', which he had patented in 1875. By the time James died in 1903 it is estimated that over 10,000 of his mechanical stokers were in use world-wide.