Former Dewhurst School, Churchgate, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire

Former Dewhurst School, Churchgate, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Photograph taken N/A © Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive ref: 157284

This school was built in 1640 for Richard Dewhurst. It was founded as a free school for boys. Dewhurst was a lawyer and lived at the former Cheshunt Nunnery. It is a rare example of a red brick school building from this period.

Location

Hertfordshire Cheshunt

Period

Stuart (1603 - 1713)

Tags

school education charity architecture brick Stuart (1603 - 1713)