Former Flax Mill, Catherine Street, Whitehaven, Cumberland
Barracks Mill was built in 1809. It is believed to have originally been a barracks. It was then used as a flax mill. The mill was once occupied by the company Dobson & Musgrave. The building is of national importance. It appears to be the earliest mill to contain a central engine house. This was more economical in getting the power to the large number of lines of looms. It is also one of the half dozen or so earliest surviving fire-proofed mills.