Former Gaol, Gaol Street, Hereford, Herefordshire
This building was originally the City Gaol and Police Station. On New Year's Day 1838, Hereford City Council ordered that land belonging to Mr. Cam in Little Gaol Lane, Hereford, be purchased for £550 as a site for the new City Gaol (HCC minutes, 1st January 1838). The work began on the 9th November 1841 and the architects were Trehearne and Duckham. It took three years to complete the building of the gaol. To the rear of the prison were exercise yards and the whole building was surrounded by a high wall for security. The gaol was only used until c1877 when it was joined with the County Gaol on Commercial Road.