Former Lace Factory, Vicarage Road, Barnstaple, Devon

Former Lace Factory, Vicarage Road, Barnstaple, Devon
Photograph taken 29 July 2004 © Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive ref: 485847

The Derby Lace Works were opened in 1825 by John Boden, who had been a partner of John Heathcoat of Tiverton. The machinery was powered by steam. By 1830 the Derby Lace Works were employing 1,000 people and the surrounding terraced housing was built for the workers. It had closed by 1974.

Location

Devon Barnstaple

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

industry work factory textile steam georgian (1714 - 1836)