Former Library, Duke Street, Liverpool, Merseyside

Former Library, Duke Street, Liverpool, Merseyside
Photograph taken 30 June 2001 © Mr Philip Pye. Source Historic England Archive ref: 214034

This building at 105 Duke Street was built around 1800 by John Foster (senior). It was originally known as the Union Newsroom. From 1852-60 it was Liverpool's first public library. It also housed the natural history collections given to the town by the Early of Derby.