Former Monastic Brewery, 32-33 The Close, Norwich, Norfolk
Numbers 32 and 33 The Close were built in 1682. They are on the site of and reuse materials from the old priory brewhouse. This is known to have been the site of the monastic brewery from 1400-1538, when the priory was closed as part of the Dissolution. At the start of the Dissolution monks were the main producers of beer in England. After the Dissolution brewing became the job of women. They would sell the beer from their own home, as had been the case centuries earlier. They were often known as 'ale wives'. This may explain why the London Guild of Brewers allowed women members as early as 1342 - a very unusual thing for any medieval guild.