Former National School, High Street, Lancaster, Lancashire

Former National School, High Street, Lancaster, Lancashire
Photograph taken 04 July 2004 © Mr Charles Satterly LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 383164

This school was built in 1820 as a 'NATIONAL SCHOOL for GIRLS'. It also has the inscription 'Built by Public Subscription A.D. 1820 to establish Order, check Vice and uphold Virtue'. The National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor supported the building of National Schools on behalf of the Anglican Church.

Location

Lancashire Lancaster

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

school education charity religion national Georgian (1714 - 1836)