Former Synagogue, Chetham Hill Road, Manchester, Greater Manchester
This building was originally The Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue. It was built in 1889 by Edward Salomons, for the Sephardic Jews. It is built in what Salomons described as 'Saracenic' and 'Moresque' style. This style appropriately reflected the ancient architecture of Moorish Spain and avoided either Gothic or classical styles that had Christian and pagan associations. The use of the style for the exterior as well as the interior is quite unusual. The building is now used as the Manchester Jewish Museum. It opened in 1984, telling the storey of the Jewish community in Manchester over the last 200 years.