Former Teignbridge Clay Cellars, Teignbridge Crossing, Devon

Former Teignbridge Clay Cellars, Teignbridge Crossing, Devon
Photograph taken 10 March 2002 © Mrs Jean M. King C.P.A.G.B. Source Historic England Archive ref: 84672

These disused clay cellars are on the disused Stover Canal. They were built around 1792-1800 for James Templer of Stover Park. The Stover Canal was a private venture built to transport local ball clay to the Staffordshire Potteries. The beginning of this clay trade was in the 1740s. Ball clay was used for pottery and is found in Dorset, North Devon and South Devon.

Location

Devon Teignbridge Crossing

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

industry work pottery clay trade canal transport Georgian (1714 - 1836)