Former Workhouse, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Bridlington Poor Law Union was formed in 1836. Initially the guardians continued to use the existing Church Green workhouse. In 1846 they built a new workhouse for 150 inmates in Marton Road. It cost about £6,000. The main block was T-shaped with females accommodated at the west and males at the east. There was also accommodation for boys and girls, school rooms and a hospital block. The photograph shows the infirmary and boardroom. After 1930, the workhouse was run by the East Riding County Council as a Public Assistance Institution. The site was renamed Burlington House and continued to provide care for elderly people.