Fulham Palace, Fulham, Greater London
The Bishops of London held this manor from 704. It is known that there has been a bishop's palace in Fulham since at least the 11th century. The present Fulham Palace was constructed in 1480 by Bishop Kemp with additions carried out by Bishop Fitzjames in 1506-22; Bishop Sherlock in 1750 and by Stiff Leadbetter for Bishop Terrick in 1764-6. The palace was remodelled and refronted in 1814. It was the official residence for the Bishop of London until 1973. The grounds have been one of the most important botanical gardens in London since the 16th century. The house and gardens are now (2010) open to the public. The house has a museum, café-bar and gallery space. It is used as a venue for weddings, receptions, corporate hospitality and functions.