Furness Abbey, Barrow In Furness, Cumbria
St Mary of Furness was founded in 1123 by Stephen who became King of England. By Tudor times it was the second richest Cistercian house in England. It was dissolved in 1537 after some of the monks became involved in the Pilgrimage of Grace. In 1539 the abbey and its land was granted to Henry VIII's first minister, Thomas Cromwell. This view is taken from the nave showing the crossing and transcept walls. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).