Gatehouse and courthouse, Battle Abbey, Battle, East Sussex
The Great Gatehouse dates from 1338 and adjoins the courthouse which was largely rebuilt in the mid-16th century. The Benedictine Abbey was originally founded by William the Conqueror on the site of the Battle of Hastings. After the dissolution of the monasteries some of the buildings were converted into a mansion. Only the plan of the church remains. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more.