Gatehouse to Carmelite Friary, Friar's Lane, Burnham Norton, Norfolk
This 14th century gatehouse was the entrance to a Carmelite Friary. The friary was the earliest Carmelite house to be established in Norfolk. It was also the first Carmelite house to be established after their expulsion from Mount Carmel in Sinai, Egypt in 1238. It was founded in 1242 by Ralph Hempnale and William Calethorpe on a site at Bradmer, east of Burnham Norton village. It was moved to its present site in 1252. The friary was enlarged in 1298, and again in 1353. The friary was dissolved in 1538 and the land was eventually sold in 1544 to Lady Anne Calthorpe. It later passed to the local branch of the Pepys family, relatives of the diarist Samuel Pepys.