Gatehouse to Hertford Castle, Hertford, Hertfordshire
This building dates back to c1460. It was the gatehouse to Hereford Castle. It still has some original floors from 1464, by Thomas Norman a carpenter. At the right side (south) of the gatehouse is the residential wing. It was built in 1789-92 by the Marquess of Downshire, brother-in-law of the Marquess of Salisbury. It replaced an earlier timber framed building of c1600. It was used as Local Authority offices from 1912-1974.