Gayle Mill, Hawes, North Yorkshire
This mill was built in c1784 for spinning cotton. It switched to spinning wool for the local knitting industry in the late 18th century. It was converted to a saw mill in the 19th century. The waterwheel was replaced by turbines in the late 19th century. From 1919 - 1948 the turbines supplied electric light for the village.