Giffard House, Wolverhampton, West Midlands

Giffard House, Wolverhampton, West Midlands
Photograph taken 04 December 2004 © Mr Peter Garratt. Source Historic England Archive ref: 378504

The house contains the earliest remaining post-Reformation public urban chapel for Catholics, now forming the sanctuary of the church. It was also the home of Bishop John Milner, from 1804 until his death in 1826, an important figure in the Catholic church of the early 19th century who had an important role in the passing of the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829.

Location

West Midlands Wolverhampton

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

house chapel catholic religion faith Georgian (1714 - 1836)