Glastonbury Abbey Fish House, Meare, Somerset

Glastonbury Abbey Fish House, Meare, Somerset
Photograph taken 1924 © Historic England Archive ref: CC001334

This fish house was built by Glastonbury abbey in the 14th century 3 miles from the abbey near to Meare Pool. It was the home, workplace and store of the abbot's fisherman. It was his job to look after the abbey fisheries and to salt the fish to preserve it. Monks ate a lot of fish and monasteries were usually built near the sea or a river. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).

Location

Somerset Meare

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

building abbey monastery food fish medieval (1066 - 1484) english heritage