Godwin Artillery Battery, Easington, North Yorkshire
An aerial view of the remains of Godwin Artillery Battery. Fort Godwin was a coastal battery built to defend the ports along the Humber estuary. It opened in 1915 and was constructed for two 9.2-inch breech-loading Mark X guns. The battery was in use throughout the First World War and kept in use during the inter-war period. The battery was modified during the Second World War. In 1940 it was equipped with a 4-inch Mark IX gun on naval mountings and a new pair of searchlights. The battery was kept for use after the war. By 1995 the strongpoint, coastal artillery searchlight and gun emplacement had been destroyed. The gun aprons had both collapsed, half lying on the beach, half on the cliff top but highly unstable. The size of the battery can be seen in comparison with the people on the beach in 2009.