Governor's House, Castle Hill, Lincoln, Lincolnshire
This building was originally the Governor's house, the old prison, the chapel and an exercise yard. The Governor's house was built in 1787, by John Carr and William Lumby. It was used as a debtors' prison. The old prison was built in 1847 by Nicholson & Goddard. The chapel has very unusual tiers of linked individual cells for the prisoners. The idea was that they could only see the priest and not each other. This collection of buildings show important changes in the detail and philosophy of prison design.