Great Hanging Bridge, Meadow Lane, Croston, Lancashire

Great Hanging Bridge, Meadow Lane, Croston, Lancashire
Photograph taken 21 August 1999 © Mr Simon Barker. Source Historic England Archive ref: 184336

This is a public road bridge over the new cut of the River Douglas. It was probably built in the early to mid 1700s. The River Douglas was improved for navigation between 1720 and 1742, to provide an outlet from the Wigan coalfield and the Ribble Estuary.

Location

Lancashire Croston

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

bridge road water transport Georgian (1714 - 1836)