Gun Deck, Pendennis Castle, Falmouth, Cornwall
Reconstruction of upper gun deck in the late 1540's. Pendennis was constructed between 1540 and 1545 by order of Henry VIII as part of a the Cornish end of a chain of coastal castles designed to defend England from a possible French or Spanish invasion. The castle was strengthened prior to the Civil War. In 1646, it was the last Royalist position in the West of England and a Royalist garrison withstood a 5 month siege from Parliamentarian forces before surrendering. The original Tudor fort is now part of a much larger castle. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more. Take advantage of our free entry for Learning Groups.