GWR carrier, Falmouth, Cornwall
The Falmouth branch line and station were opened in 1863. The broad gauge railway was the last part of the Cornwall Railway to be opened and runs parallel to the West Cornwall's narrow line at Truro as far as Penwethers Junction where it cuts across the Newham branch line. Pictured is one the Great Western Railway Company's goods carriers. Until the early 20th century the various railway companies were the single biggest employers of horses in Britain.