Hall Headstone, Church of St Mary, Denton, Darlington

Hall Headstone, Church of St Mary, Denton, Darlington
Photograph taken 18 February 2001 © Mr Alan Bradley LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 110763

This small headstone has a faded inscription;" Here lieth ye Body of Thomas Son of John and Ann Hall... who departed ... 1714". It appears to have been sculpted by Jonathon Welford. The carvings are very symbolic with a pair of hands enclosing an inverted heart. These are emblems of charity.

Location

Darlington Denton

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

grave symbol death religion Georgian (1714 - 1836)