Hall Houses, Hall House Lane, Leigh, Greater Manchester
A couple stand outside their home. The house appears to have a had a late Victorian 'make over'. The bays at the front and side, with large paned sash windows, may have only recently been added to an older house. The town of Leigh was formed in 1875 after the merger of several smaller townships. It became a municipal borough in 1899. At that time Leigh was an industrial town with a number of large red brick mills, some of which are now (2013) listed buildings. Hall Houses was part of Bedford township; a suburb of Leigh. It had a silk mill and there was also a Hall Houses mill. Houses such as this would have been home to mill owners, coal masters or their agents.