Hertford County Hospital, North Road, Hertford, Hertfordshire
This hospital was built as the General Infirmary in 1832-3. It was designed by Thomas Smith. The hospital had its origins in the efforts of Rev Thomas Lloyd and Henry Cowper of Tewin Water to provide medical services for the poor. They had opened a Dispensary in 1822. The hospital opened on the 4th July 1833. Financial difficulties restricted its patient intake each year. These difficulties were then eased by donations from Henry Cowper. The name changed to Hertford County Hospital in 1908. The National Health Service took over the hospital in 1947.