Hertford Post Office, Fore Street, Hertford, Hertfordshire
This post office was built in 1890. It is on the site of The Chequer Inn and Chequers Yard. This area was congested and residents were badly affected by cholera in 1849. The site then passed to the ownership of the Hertford Poor Estate Charity. They decided to redevelop it with the new Post Office, at a cost of £2000. It was then let to the Government Postmaster General for £120 per annum, and sold to the General Post Office after 21 years. The original entrance was from Fore Street, with the sorting office in the outshut behind and a telephone exchange on the first floor.