Hope Mill, Pollard Street, Manchester, Greater Manchester
This former cotton spinning mill was built in 1824. Documentary evidence suggests that Hope Mill was one of the earliest developments in the new industrial suburb created from a greenfield site alongside the Ashton Canal in the 1820s. In 1824, the owners, Joseph Clarke and Sons purchased an 80 horse-power mill beam engine from Boulton and Watt of Birmingham. By 1880 the area was fully developed, with a large number of steam- powered industrial complexes. In the early 20th century, Hope Mill was occupied by John Hetherington and Sons, manufacturers of textile machinery. The mill is one of the best-preserved examples of its type in Manchester. It retains extensive evidence for the development of successive power systems. It has an innovative prefabricated iron roofing system.